Assisting the Community

On March 23, 1938, the Altrusa Club of Atlanta was organized and actively participated in a variety of ways to assist the community. It implemented programs such as the American Women's Volunteer Service Program, which entertained service men from Lawson General Hospital, and a vocational guidance series for women workers of the Bell Bomber plant.

Vocational Training & Sanctuary

Between 1940 and 1980, the Atlanta club raised monies for nursing schools and scholarships for female students. It also conducted career clinics for young and mature women as well as teaching regular classes at the Georgia Training School for Girls in Adamsville. Further, the organization created Villa International as temporary housing for immigrants to Atlanta, and members designed and remodeled rooms at the Atlanta Women’s Mission. 

Going Global

During the 1980s and 1990s, with its increasingly global outlook, Altrusa International, Inc. expanded its projects beyond literacy and education. In 1989, Altrusa adopted a resolution to promote environmental concerns and in 1997, the Altrusa Foundation adopted Camp Safe Haven for abandoned children with HIV/AIDS.